Post-Doctoral Fellow in Mammalian Heart Preservation
Prof. Matthew J. Powell-Palm
Dept. of Mechanical Engineering
Texas A&M University
Post-doctoral position available to study the ex vivo preservation of transplantable donor hearts via isochoric supercooling. This position will combine state-of-the-art isolated heart model physiological evaluation techniques with the principles of isochoric biothermodynamics to enable extended preservation of donor hearts outside the body, meeting critical needs in the transplantation sector. Successful candidates will have extensive experience with small or large animal isolated heart models (utilizing Langendorff or working heart perfusion) and an excellent command of cardiac physiology, with additional experience in biothermodynamics, biochemistry, or cryobiology preferred.
- M.D. or Ph.D. in relevant field.
- Willingness to work in an interdisciplinary laboratory environment alongside mechanical engineers, materials scientists, and biomedical engineers.
- Extensive experience in mammalian cardiac physiology in general, and isolated heart models in particular. Candidate should have experience independently conducting Langendorff model or working heart model evaluations and performing standard assays.
- Excellent oral communication and written skills in English, with good organizational and analytical abilities.
- Additional experience in cryobiology/cryopreservation or other aspects of biopreservation.
- Additional experience in liver perfusion and/or preservation.
- Additional experience in small or large-animal surgery, esp. heterotopic transplantation of the heart or liver.
- Additional experience in the physical sciences, incl. heat transfer, materials thermodynamics, chemistry, etc.
This position will be based out of Texas A&M University, Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, and rely heavily on collaboration within the TAMU College of Veterinary Medicine & Biomedical Sciences. There will be regular opportunities to travel to our many partner labs at different institutions around the country. Salary commensurate with experience, and guaranteed to be above NIH standards.
Applications should be sent to email@example.com with the subject line
“Postdoc Heart Preservation” and addressed to Prof. Matt Powell-Palm, and should contain a brief cover letter or statement of interest, an up-to-date CV, and the names / contact details of 2-3 professional or academic references.