THE COLLEGE OF HEALTH SCIENCES
The College of Health Sciences (CHS) aims to advance heath care in Vietnam and the world through leading education, innovative research and technology. Our mission is:
- Committed to developing world-class research and providing outstanding health care education
- To pioneer the country’s health sciences education and reform
- To attract and develop healthcare leaders to advance health sciences locally and globally.
Our strategic partner within Vingroup is Vinmec Healthcare System – the leading private, not-for-profit health care provider in Vietnam, which currently encompasses 7 hospitals and 4 outpatient clinics throughout Vietnam (with more than 1,600 beds), together with its medical research institutes and centers. Vinmec is the only healthcare provider in Vietnam offering 2 hospitals with Joint-Commission International (JCI) accreditation (in Hanoi and HoChiMinh city). The Vinmec Times City in Hanoi is our primary teaching hospital for College of Health Sciences. It received the first JCI accreditation in 2015, the re-accreditation in 2018 and is currently the only teaching hospital in Vietnam with JCI recognition.
With a vision to advance health care through research, the College of Health Sciences will also offer research opportunities in all our programs and provide a supportive research environment for our faculty and students. Taking advantage of being in the ecosystem of Vingroup with a number of technology and service oriented companies such as Vinpearl, VinHomes, VinFast, VinSmart, etc., the College will cooperate closely with these companies in research to create breakthrough technology & healthcare products and solutions.
Currently, the College offers undergraduate degree programs in Nursing and Medicine while there are three residency program offered in Internal Medicine, Surgery and Pediatrics. All of the health sciences programs are competency-based, developed with University of Pennsylvania’s technical support. With UPenn’s certified and validated curricula, world-class international and Vietnamese faculty members, modern pedagogical approaches, and infrastructure at the forefront of technology, we will prepare our students to become healthcare leaders, innovators and scientists with entrepreneurial mindset and as prospective agents of change in the future.
Reports to: Program Director, Pediatrics Residency Program
KEY SELECTION CRITERIA
- Clinical Teaching and Direct Supervision of Pediatric residents in both the inpatient and outpatient setting.
- PGY1A Course Activities: participate as a lecturer in foundational course for first year residents in Pediatrics, Internal Medicine and Surgery.
- Pediatrics Curriculum: participate in delivery and coordinate teaching conference for residents using a variety of modalities including didactic lectures, journal club, wellness curriculum.
- Simulation Curriculum: works together with Program Director and Simulation Center to deliver simulation curriculum specific for pediatrics residents.
2. Clinical Activities:
- Patient care activities in Pediatrics Department at Vinmec International Hospital Times City.
- Reviews evaluation data for residents, faculty, program overall.
4. Administration and Recruitment:
- In collaboration with Program Director and GME Coordinator, acts as a liaison with Vinmec and VinUniversity HR departments to ensure compliance.
- Implement policies and procedures consistent with the institutional and program requirements.
- Actively participates in recruitment of new residents each academic year including outreach events, application review, interviews, and final ranking of candidates.
- Assists Program Director with Resident Scheduling and Faculty Scheduling for clinical rotations.
- Coordinates with VinUniversity Registrar to report Admission Plan annually to Ministry of Health.
5. Faculty Development:
- In collaboration with Program Director, meets regularly with Pediatric Faculty members to review evaluation data and provide support and coaching as needed.
- Actively participates in Faculty Development training sessions.
6. External Engagement:
- Provides reports and updates to Vietnam MOH as scheduled or requested.
- Regular meetings and collaboration with National Children’s Hospital educational leaders.
- Regular meetings and collaboration with UPenn GME Team.
KEY SELECTION CRITERIA
- MD degree with specialization in:
o General Pediatrics or
o Pediatric Subspecialty (Pediatric Critical Care, Pediatric Hematology, Pediatric Oncology, Pediatric Infectious Diseases, Pediatric Cardiology, Pediatric Pulmonology, etc).
- Required educational experience: at least five years of participation as an active faculty member in a medical school or residency program.
- Have a strong knowledge of the subject area combined with a broad subject background enabling contributions to teaching programs.
- Have good experience in experiential leaning methods such as TBL (Team-based Learning), PBL (Project-based Learning), ABL (Action-based Learning) and can successfully employ them in all courses.
- Have a strong record of research accomplishments or potential for future accomplishments (research track)
- Have a high spirit and strong passion for education; demonstrate distinction and/or strong potential in research; Agile to embrace changes and take on new challenges; open-minded to new and different environments; team-player willing to contribute to organizational goals and initiatives
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
English is the language of teaching and communication at Vin University. For this role, the minimum requirement is IELTS (Academic) with a score of at least 6.0.
For Higher Education roles, English Language Proficiency may also be proven by having completed PhD studies while being instructed through the medium of English.
The salary and benefits are internationally competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply via http://apply.interfolio.com/83894 and send (1) a cover letter, (2) a resume, (3) a teaching statement, (4) a research statement; and (5) two recommendation letters. In doing so, remember the following:
- Indicate in your cover letter which field, rank, and track you are applying for.
- Your resume should include a list of all courses you have taught with the teaching/student evaluation outcomes.
- Your teaching statement should specify teaching methods you have used in your courses and plan to use in your future courses (i.e., lecture, cases, flipped classroom, team-based learning, service-based learning, community-based learning, etc.).
- Your research statement should include the primary theme(s) of your past and current research and the theme(s) of your intended future research.
Consideration of candidates will occur on a rolling basis beginning April 2021 and will continue until the positions are filled.
The desired start date is August 2021, subject to negotiation, to allow sufficient time for your course preparation for the upcoming fall semester. If you currently reside outside Vietnam, please indicate in your cover letter whether you can relocate to Hanoi, Vietnam in time (by September as latest). If not, please specify when you can.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Please note that only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
LIVING AND WORKING IN HANOI, VIETNAM
- Work permit: VinUniversity will assist in and provide advice for obtaining the necessary paperwork needed for employment in Vietnam (visa, work permit, insurance, etc.). However, it is your responsibility to ensure that you can satisfy all the paper requirements in a timely manner.
- According to Vietnamese Law, expatriates are required to submit all necessary documents for a work permit on the first day in Vietnam.
- Living costs: Vietnam has a comparatively low cost of living and expatriates can live a very comfortable life here with a moderate expenditure.
VinUniversity (VinUni: https://vinuni.edu.vn/) is the first private, not-for-profit Vietnamese university established based on international standards. The university integrates the models of excellent international universities with the unique cultural and economic characteristics of Vietnam, to make a breakthrough in Vietnamese higher education and to become a world-class university.
VinUni has strategic collaborations with the world’s leading universities, including Cornell University and the University of Pennsylvania. These universities have become close advisors and crucial enablers in establishing the three colleges at VinUni: College of Business and Management, College of Engineering and Computer Science, and College of Health Sciences. Every aspect of the University: its curricula, research, faculty, student body, facilities, and campus life, is being developed to meet the highest standards set by the world’s leading accrediting and ranking organizations, such as ABET, AACSB, Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) and Times Higher Education (THE).
VinUni’s founding benefactor Vingroup is one of the biggest private conglomerates in Asia with the largest market capitalization value in Vietnam. As a multisector corporation, Vingroup focuses on three main areas: Technology; Industrials; and Property Services. VinUni is proud to be a part of the Vingroup ecosystem, giving its students opportunities to connect with several high quality research institutes (such as VinAI, VinBrain, and Vin BigData), pioneering industrial enterprises (such as VinSmart and VinFast), and leading Vietnamese companies (such as Vinpearl, Vincom Retail, Vinmec, and Vinhomes)