Appointment as the Director – Centre for Biomedical Ethics
The Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine at the National University of Singapore is seeking candidates for appointment as Director of the Centre for Biomedical Ethics (CBmE).
CBmE was established in 2006 and comprises a diverse, capable and committed group of academic, research and administrative staff. It fosters strong collaborations amongst local clinicians and scientists and hosts a vibrant international visitors programme. CBmE also serves as a WHO Collaborating Centre for Bioethics.
The Centre’s core activities include:
- Undergraduate teaching – development and delivery of the Health Ethics, Law and Professionalism programme through all five years of the undergraduate medical curriculum in the Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine
- Postgraduate education in Bioethics (PhD programme)
- Locally relevant and internationally significant research and scholarship on timely, clinical and policy-based issues in bioethics
- Dissemination of research findings to the academic community and relevant stakeholders
- Continuing professional education in clinical and research ethics, bioethics and policy development
- Production of the peer-reviewed Asian Bioethics Review journal
- Activities and service as a WHO Collaborating Centre for Bioethics
Apart from competitive research grants, the Centre receives programmatic funding for two large initiatives: Clinical Ethics + Research Ethics Support (CENTRES) and Science, Health and Policy-relevant Ethics in Singapore (SHAPES). More details on the Centre are available at http://cbme.nus.edu.sg.
The Director has overall responsibility for leading these activities.
Applicants should have a strong record of leadership, teaching and research in biomedical ethics, ideally within a medical school. While CBmE’s research agenda is positioned to be internationally relevant and significant, the Director will be expected to have an interest in and the capacity to advance knowledge of biomedical issues in the Singaporean and Asian contexts.
An attractive remuneration package, commensurate with the candidate’s qualifications and experience, will be offered with this position