The Department of Biomedical Sciences at the UofSC School of Medicine (SOM) Greenville is seeking applications for faculty with discipline-specific expertise in Pathology. The position is open at the assistant professor, associate professor, or professor level within the non-tenure track, depending on experience and qualifications. The successful candidate must have demonstrated interests/qualifications in pre-clinical medical education, research/scholarship, and service. Strong oral and written communication and effective interpersonal skills are essential.
Required Education and Experience:
- M.D. or equivalent terminal degree in pathology or a related discipline and/or a Ph.D. degree (e.g., Ph.D. in pathobiology that encompasses fundamental and applied studies of the biological basis of disease). Ph.D. candidates without specific training in pathology must have additional credentials related to advanced scientific training and scholarship in the field.
- Recognized experience and expertise with the design, delivery, and assessment/evaluation of a course or major course components in pathology or related biomedical science at an LCME-accredited medical school.
- Experience in an integrated learner-centered environment with innovative teaching methods including team-based teaching, problem- and case-based learning, interactive small and large group presentations, and multimedia learning.
- Proven record of accomplishment in scholarship related to pathology, clinical sciences/translational research (e.g., implementation science, population health and patient-centered outcomes research), curriculum and medical education research, and/or collaborative research within a patient care clinical delivery system.
- Additional consideration will be given to candidates with backgrounds in biostatistics, ethics as related to the medical profession, and/or assessment methodologies of medical student performance.
UofSC SOMG is located at the heart of Prisma Health-Upstate, South Carolina’s most comprehensive hospital system, and is backed by two decades of partnership in providing comprehensive medical education to students from the University of South Carolina, the state’s largest public university. Faculty within the Department of Biomedical Sciences are recruited based on their passion for teaching; enthusiasm for building new programs; commitment to excellence in research/scholarship, and interest and experience that enhances our educational and research endeavors. The curriculum stresses collaborative learning, integration of direct patient care throughout all four years of training, interdisciplinary team-based care, interpersonal skills with an emphasis on communication, integration of research with real-world concerns, and life-long learning. The vision of the UofSC SOMG is to cultivate a culture of curiosity and commitment to others to transform the health and wellness of communities. The mission of the school is to prepare physicians committed to improving the health and wellness of your family and your community through creative teaching, innovative research and quality clinical care.
The city of Greenville is a culturally and economically diverse community with an abundance of amenities, and is consistently ranked as one of the nation’s best places to live. Greenville is a mid-sized metropolitan area with a low cost of living, mild climate, exceptional healthcare, and an award-winning school system. Located along Interstates I-26 and I-85 midway between Atlanta, Charlotte, and Ashville, there are mountains, lakes, beaches, whitewater rivers and streams all within easy striking distance.
Interested applicants should submit (1) a cover letter stating the position and subject area for which they are applying, (2) a current curriculum vitae, (3) a statement of teaching and research interests, experiences and philosophies, (4) the names of three potential references (references will not be contacted without candidates’ permission), and (5) complete contact information. Review of applications is ongoing and will continue until the position is filled.
Please apply to the link below:
The cover letter should be addressed to the attention of:
Richard L. Hodinka, Ph.D., F(AAM)
Chair, Department of Biomedical Sciences
University of South Carolina School of Medicine Greenville
Room 210, Health Science Administration Building
701 Grove Road
Greenville, SC 29605