The University of Kentucky’s Markey Cancer Center is seeking an Associate Director for Cancer Prevention and Control who will be responsible for assuring a successful cancer prevention and control research enterprise at the Markey Cancer Center across all boundaries of the University of Kentucky and its associated departments, colleges and centers. This includes development of capacities and programs consistent with National Cancer Institute designation.
The major activities of this position include:
- Fostering interdisciplinary and translational studies by bringing together outstanding faculty with diverse backgrounds who conduct cancer prevention and control research.
- Implementing mentoring and support programs that help new and existing faculty prepare high-quality grants and successfully compete for extramural funding, including inter-programmatic collaborations and the development of multi-component and multi-investigator grant applications.
- Working with investigators to use the unique infrastructure at MCC (such as the SEER program and community-based cancer coalitions) available for conducting cancer prevention and control research.
- Assist in recruiting talented new investigators and the cultivation of young investigators to strengthen and advance the cancer prevention and control aspects of both inter- and intra-programmatic research at MCC.
- Fostering a "Community of Science" environment via support and promotion of a Distinguished Lecturer Seminar Series, Journal Clubs, Cancer Research Day, Poster Sessions and Symposia in timely topical areas of cancer research.
This position will directly report to the Director of the Markey Cancer Center, Mark Evers. Faculty members will be expected to conduct innovative, rigorous, grant-funded research and engage in scholarly activities (peer-reviewed publications, presentations, etc.). In addition, faculty also will contribute to the research training of UK students and postdoctoral scholars, including working within mentorship programs, workshops, and in supervised research, as well as are engage in broader research and training initiatives across all 16 colleges of the university, including grant consultation and review, participating in speaker series and other enriching events, pilot project competitions and outreach to the lay public.
To apply, please include an updated CV, a Cover Letter, and a summary/overview of your current research (upload under Specific Request 1), and a statement on your research goals (upload under Specific Request 2). Applications will be reviewed immediately and continue until the position is filled.