Search for University Jobs in Medicine
Academic Scholar - Director of Hospital Medicine
University at Buffalo
The Director of Hospital Medicine (DHM), is responsible for directing the effective operation of the UBMD Internal Medicine (UBMDIM) Hospital Medicine practice, overseeing the clinical quality of care provided by the hospital physicians and serving as the primary representative of the practice in interactions with the department, hospital administration, and the medical staff.
- Provides medical leadership and direction to the UBMDIM Hospital Medicine providers and staff.
- Oversees the scheduling of all providers and assures appropriate patient coverage.
- Participates in the recruitment of hospitalists to the practice, including:
a) Developing and implementing a hospitalist recruitment plan.
b) Interviewing hospitalist candidates.
c) Maintaining contact with candidates by phone and email throughout the recruitment process.
- Oversees the orientation for new hospital medicine providers as well as an annual reorientation for existing members of the group.
- Monitors the overall performance of all UBMDIM Hospital Medicine providers to assure that clinical care is of high quality, timely, efficient, safe, equitable and patient-centered. Addresses performance issues and provides coaching and development support. Provides annual provider performance summaries and recommendations to the Division Chief.
- Participates in the budgeting process for hospital medicine, including recommendations on staffing levels and compensation. Performs regular monitoring of the hospital medicine program’s financial performance and makes recommendations to address budget variances.
- Collaborate/coordinate with the BGMC Quality Director to monitor gain share/risk incentives and maximize attainment of these dollars.
- Ensures timely and accurate submission of charges and medical records for all hospitalist providers including supportive clinical documentation requirements.
- Conducts periodic team meetings with providers, support staff and applicable hospital personnel to ensure the team is kept abreast of all changes, updates, etc. in the program.
- Assists in developing the hospital medicine program’s policies, clinical protocols, forms, reports, and records required.
- Proactively identifies opportunities for optimizing the cost, quality and timeliness of care provided by the practice through reductions in medical practice variation, guideline and policy development, operational process improvement, and so forth.
- Serves as physician champion to align providers with UBMDIM’s and Kaleida Health’s goals.
- Serves as an advisor to the hospital’s utilization management, risk management and performance improvement programs. Meets regularly with Kaleida discharge planners and case managers, and interacts with physicians to facilitate appropriate patient flow. Attends regular continuous quality improvement and peer review activities with Kaleida Health.
- Participates with ISO 9001 continual quality improvement activities, including but not limited to, internal audits, corrective action plans and preventive action plans. Completes ISO 9001 certification education as provided by Kaleida Health and ensures compliance with ISO 9001 process standards by all residents and fellows.
- Monitors the quality of communication between providers and patients, families, referring physicians, nursing and ancillary staff and emergency department and implements interventions if needed.
- Submits Time Allocation Report (TAR) form monthly in a timely manner.
- Complies with the Medical Director Position description, including additional duties not listed herein, as outlined in Exhibit A of the contract between UBMD Internal Medicine and Kaleida Health/Buffalo General Medical Center.
- Any other duties or responsibilities as assigned by the Division Chief and/or the Chair of the Department of Medicine
- Oversees integration of the academic and non-academic services.
- Graduation from an accredited school of medicine or osteopathy.
- Board certification in Internal Medicine.
- Current NYS medical license and DEA registration.
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities:
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Minimum of five years’ experience working as a staff hospitalist.
- Minimum of two years’ experience in a supervisory/leadership capacity showing ability to motivate others, facilitate effective teamwork and effectively manage conflict.
Contact’s Name Judi Fadel
Contact’s Title Resource Manager
Contact’s Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact’s Phone 716-859-4847
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |